1/3 cup raisins — pre-soaked ***
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup water — lukewarm
2 cups white bread flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
*** Soak the raisins in warm water for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Toss wi th cinnamon and sugar, then place in the machine with the rest of the ingredien ts.
1. Insert ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer’s instruction s. Remove the dough from the machine after the first knead – approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Place dough on a floured surface. Divide into 5 parts. Form balls, gently press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.
3. While bagels rise, bring three quarts of water and one tablespoon of sugar to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Drop test dough (see hints below).
4. Using a slotted spoon, drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water. Boil on each side for 1/2 minutes. Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired.
5. Bake at 400 on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden – appro ximately 15 minutes.